Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tidbits...

Yeah, Get Back To Me When You Get a Karaoke Machine...

Tidbittin'....

* This is the first year in about 20 years I haven't seen any of the movies nominated for the Academy Awards. Notta. I wanted to see True Grit, Inception and Kings' Speech, but, the other films...nah. I heard good things about The Kids are All Right and Social Network, but, to be honest, the stories just don't interest me. Especially when one of the movies is passing itself off as a biographical account that's mostly made up (Social Network). HUH?!? Reminds me of Oliver Stone.

I'm sure the Sorkin film is entertaining, but, if I know it's REAL people in a REAL setting, but, the story is half-true, then, you lost me. I never got into that type of film - real people in fictitious settings. It's like I'm watching something like "Abe Lincoln meets the Harlem Globetrotters" or something. Might as well be. It's just as full of shit.

I always root for the Coen's, so.....there we are.

* Had to go to the library computer room because...well, because. Wow...There are just some annoying people out there. Gum-smackers, pen-clickers, nose-whistlers, loud-talkers, headphones-up-too-loud-ers, inappropriate-content-viewers, keyboard-hammerers, coughing-attack-without-covering-their-mucus-covered-mouth-ers and librarians.

Can we all just act like we're in public when, ya' know, we're IN PUBLIC?!? I blame the social media and blackberry crap. We're losing social grace and boundaries. I know this is a tired, well-worn theme and I'm not the first to complain about it, but....GAH! Just...stop. Pay attention!

As Costanza once said, "We're living in a society!!!"

* Baseball can't get here soon enough. I don't know if I've ever been more eager for a season. Not because I think the Sox are going to be great (even though, I do think they will win the division), it's just.....winter. Getting old. I didn't mind winter so much before I had a dog, but, now, having to walk him is becoming a chore. Chores suck. Yep, I said it...I'm 12 years old now....or 82. Either way.

* I'm going to play Euchre this weekend for the first time in ages. It's a party being thrown by my friends from Iowa. I think it's in the Iowa Handbook that you have to either play Euchre or have family members that play it. There's no way you can go through life there and not know about that card game. But, go across the river and hardly anyone plays it that I know.

And, if she were able to make it to the party, my grandmother would whip everyone in the room. Hands down. Sometimes, I wish she would have taken up Texas Hold'em or poker back in the day. I truly think she would beat half the field and I'd have a hell of an inheritance. I've never been around a better card player. I don't care WHAT the game is, she'll beat your ass...Canasta, Euchre, Gin Rummy, Spades...fucking UNO.

Forget it. You're toast the minute you get the cards dealt.

* Watching Larry Sanders on IFC....Still, in my opinion, the greatest non-animated comedy of the past 30 years. The Simpsons will always be number one with me, but, there is no beating the holy comedy trinity of Hank, Artie and Larry.

The episode where Hank dictates "Hank's Thoughts" was on the other day. It, indeed inspired today's blog post.

Hank's thought: "If I had my druthers...there would be no world hunger".

.....absolutely genius comedy and my favorite comedic character in television history. Jeff Tambor is just so underappreciated. Arrested Development and Larry Sanders ALONE should have put him on the Walk of Fame, but.....those are reserved for Rin Tin Tin and the like.


So, there you are. Larry King, eat your heart out. I can tidbit with the best of them.

No comments: